Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My village

Somehow I have this enormous village around me. And throughout the year they choose to spend time with me and my kids. I can't even count the times Glenn and Megan have called me on their day off to see if we (the kids and me) wanted to go somewhere with them. What mother of two young kids (especially kids 1.5 years apart) would not want two adult chaperones to help ensure a good and safe time.

Last week Glenn and Megan encouraged me to go to the zoo. It was a cold Friday, school is back in session, and we literally felt like we had the place to ourselves. As much as many of the exhibits make me sad, with my heart of hearts feeling for that animal that will never live in the wild, it is a very fun day for the kids. Even if Kate was more excited pigeons and squirrels than the actual animals there. This trips we observed a baby gorilla twirling and climbing and playing. We saw baby flamingos all puffy and grey and cute. As I was commenting about how cute the babies were, Charlie says, "Mommy, I really want you to care about the pink mommy flamingos too." And it was fun having some adults to talk to and share this experience with.
Woah, mommy, I am big. Look at this, I can balance on a bronze baby elephant


Charlie is the most perfect kid to take pretty much anywhere. He was curious, focused- spending as much time as Kate would allow looking at one animal, he follows directions, takes "no" to toys and treats so well, and all around is a complete pleasure to be with. Kate...well she is cute, and sweet, and silly. But she is a bit of a pain, she is spacey, and easily distracted....and is constantly going in the wrong direction....

She would rather spend her day on fake animals, chasing peacocks, and laying in the middle of a path.

But I had Glenn and Megan to help, and they did a great job of moving her along...

and even though it was slow-going they helped her move in the right direction.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I love my village.

No comments: