Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Outside Air

About a week ago I had a long day. ok, so in the summer when I don't tutor and there is no preschool, every day is long. 12 hours straight. This one day we had already done a lot. And it was only 3. Kate took a short nap, during which I played nonstop with Charlie, and despite the fact that most of the day had gone smoothly, I felt ready for the kids to be in bed for the night. And yet I had hours until backup arrived...
I had to run errands. I had to go to New Leaf. And No Charlie today we are not getting a treat.
Ok, Kate you can walk along with us in the store, but no running away. I said no running away. And do really have to stick your grubby hands in the bulk candy section in front of a tutoring student's mother? Sweet. Not only did you run away Kate, you stole candy. Can you at least do it discreetly, so I don't get the "look" from others around me.
Once our quick shopping trip was completed I realized I also really needed to go to the post office. There was a very short wait, during which my kids raced around like crazy, and at one point Kate decided it would be fun to pull down her pants and underwear in front of everyone.
I didn't get mad or annoyed. My main thought was: Wow, the kids really need to be in a big open space.....good thing we live where we do....

I happened to have the balance bike and scooter in the back of the car, and knew just where to unleash the hounds...
My slightly crazy kids became good listeners eager to have a fun time...
In case you didn't know charlie is one seriously cool dude, he was charging down this hill....

After a while they made a deal to switch their modes of transportation, and would frequently stop to discuss this jump or that trail or that bird...it was quite cute.

In the past two months Kate has learned how to ride the scooter quite well, and her balance bike too.

We made it to the "deep dark forest" as the kids call it. We searched for gnomie homies, rode bikes off "crazy" jumps, and surprise surprise played "kitchen" Here Kate made me eggs and toast behind a log bar.

Charlie played in piles and piles of dusty dirt in his nice white shirt, and I really didn't care because the day was coming to a close and my nice full glass of hard earned wine was calling my name.



And like all good nature adventures I end up carrying every thing as we trudged back to the car...


So the message here is to get outside often and as charlie says, "Get some air on me!" we had a great time, and by the time we made our way home, Adam was back from work and ready for his kids..

No comments: