Monday, September 13, 2010

One of the things I love about my town

is the library.
Not only is it a great place to tutor the students I work with, but my kids absolutely love going there. We have built it into our weekly rhythm, going there every Monday before swim class.
I admit I had a few hurtles along the way. At first my kids (mainly wild Kate) ran around like crazy up and down the aisles, but they outgrew that. Then they discovered the dvd section, and for a family with very limited media at home, it is like a child's heaven to see rows and rows of videos. But it has been months and months and they have not even glanced at that section. Our latest obstacle was when Charlie found the comic book section. Who in their right mind who put such violent comic books where a 4 year old can see and reach them. If there is one thing I have learned as a mother, it is to pick my battles and loosen up on my own personal ideas of what a kid should be into. So I embrace super heroes- I tell long, detailed stories every night about superboy, spiderboy, or ironboy helping some animals in the forest, helping gnomes find food, etc.....
And with each bump in our library road our experience has become that much more incredible.
Charlie immediately sits down and studies his comic books, Kate joins him at first and then comes and finds me. I return the books from the week before and begin my search for new animal books, fables, short chapter books, and good ole picture books. And after an hour or so I call on the kids, and together we use the computer to check them all out. The best part is we have a whole new crop of books to read during the week, and the kids get great practice at being quiet. Sure we had just taken a 1.5 hour long bike ride on the coastal trail, but look at how sweet, focused, and QUIET they are being:


2 comments:

Amber said...

Jackson LOVES that book, Superhero ABC. I wish I frequented the library as much...do they have any story times for kids? Have they added on to that library since the 90's? Just wondering.

Mama Deb said...

Would you believe I have NEVER taken my children to a public library??
I know, I know...mother of the year award isn't coming my way!
I think Brooks would love to go some time. Let's plan it soon!