Thursday, May 23, 2013

Today was like a fresh sunny morning after a long night of hard rain. All of my kids were healthy and rested. We eased into the day with nowhere to go. No endless trips to town. No school drop offs. Just me and my three kids. Alex following the bigs around as if they are his toys. Time with Charlie. as precious as a sunny day on the coast. At one point I looked out front and saw all three kids deeply engaged in amazing play. They created a shop for Alex to work in and as I cleaned house I peek out front with a huge smile on my face.
Health.
You may not celebrate it until you don't have it.
over 5 years ago my mom took a turn for the worst health wise. What she lacked in mobility and comfort she has made up for in gratitude, attitude, and wisdom. And all those that surround her see it, feel it, and learn from it. This week was her third and final BT. I imagine walking into and through these three procedures has been scary. But she did it. I know the aftermath has been uncomfortable. And I know with all of my heart and soul that she is doing it all for us. To see Charlie reach his goals. For we are all witnesses. To watch Josh walk down the aisle. To answer my endless texts. To share in my good news, and to comfort me in my times of need. To see all the wonderful things Aunt Kate will accomplish. To be there day in and day out for my dad. To see what kind of small child silly, sweet Alex will become. To watch and revel in the greatness that is Little Kate. And to watch and support the love Adam and I share.
Health.
Charlie struggled 2012. We charted his illnesses and it was as often as every 2 weeks for 8-12 months. So often that I was convinced he was very sick and took him in for a full blood, stool, allergy work up. We changed his diet and added some immunity boosters and bam no sickness for 5 months. Until Saturday. Little boy, who at times seems bigger and more intense than life itself, vomited every hour for 25 hours. I was ready to take him to the ER on hour 20. Thank goddess Adam was by my side and just kept waking him or trying to wake him for fluids.
And now we are healthy. Just like that. And I am once again reminded of how important it is to put nourishing food and nutrients into our bodies.
Because summer is here. I wrap up my job in a few days and I take pride in the fact that I have successfully completed a full year of working full-time from home with three littles. I relish in the fact that I have 10 weeks with my kids. That means 10 weeks to focus on not yelling, not getting too involved in their play or bickering. 10 weeks to show them I have the time to play a card game or board game or take a walk.
I look back at the time in my life when I only had two kids. young kids. no job. and all day to make it my own. And I already long for those days. When baking, playing, deep breaths, occasional tears, and lots of laughter filled my room.
I am done with checking my phone for work calls, work emails, and never ending work tasks.
I am ready to take the kids out and about. for the dance parties and trips to museums and zoos. I am ready for spontaneous trips to the beach, parks, and happy hour playdates.
Mostly I am ready to have my little family under one roof more often than not.
Uh and I am ready for my mom to be out of her bubble, and for my sister Kate to come home.


1 comment:

Pa said...

So touching. You write from the heart and it moves us all. I love you.