Wednesday, April 23, 2014

One Mama's Thought

It was so long ago I started this blog and named it ya basta. Enough. I think I had two young kids and was temporarily not working. mothering, that is what I was doing. a newborn and a 19 month old....harder work than most jobs indeed.
And here I am nestled next to my almost 8 year old talking about leopards in Africa with Adam and wondering what direction our education journey will soon take. Let me start by saying I am a huge proponent of public education. The playing field is so incredibly unfair. If you have a grand or two extra a month you pay be able to get smaller class sizes, more science and PE, more art. Everyone else is left with schools that struggle to pay for one science class a month. Teachers are saints in my book doing their very best with very little. I dreamed about sending my children to a  neighborhood school. I dreamed about being part of a school community, and like many moms of multiple children I dreamed of the day all three of my kids would be in school...at the same school...together. And I would have time, actual time to do my job and do it well. To exercise, clean, cook, run errands and then embrace my children after school. Grounded and happy and prepared.
But we have hit a hiccup in our journey. Charlie is not happy at school. And you can only be as happy as your least happy child. We cannot afford a private school and I am not sure that is his answer. As a credentialed teacher who works with 16 homeschooling families, it is quite obvious that I need to explore this option.
And so I am. Thinking daily about how that would look, how our (my) life would change. Looking at what a day would look like for Charlie.....
A mother's world. Constantly reflective.

No comments: