Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sadie




Perhaps our biggest news of 2015 is the addition of our beloved Sadie. When Lily died Adam and I both agreed our days of being dog owners were over. We felt three kids was enough. We liked the freedom of leaving for the day or night without worrying. We liked the idea of not spending money on dog food and vet bills. But I think mostly we felt like we had owned the best lab, loved the best dog, and didn't feel the need to fill the void. Our kids felt different.

Charlie cried for weeks when Lily died. It was truly tragic for him and every few months we hear him crying again in his room over Lily. Watching Charlie and Lily's love for each other over the past years told me that Charlie really is a dog person. If there is anyone who could/would benefit from loving another dog, I knew it would be my son. He is so sensitive, intense, caring, and at times complicated. The simplicity of the love between a man and his dog was something surely Charlie should have. So a year after we lost Lily we began the search. When we found Sadie our hearts immediately swelled with more love than I have ever felt towards an animal. It makes me smile to think of the hilarious conversation with my best friend Amy the day I called her to tell her we bought a puppy:
Me: Amy, guess what? We bought a puppy! She comes home to us in three weeks!
Amy: Sarah, what?!? You hated having a dog.

I guess you have to know me to appreciate her honest reply. I didn't ever HATE having Lily. But I will admit that my patience and understanding of my four legged friend lessened with each child I brought into this world.

We have now had Sadie for 6 weeks and I can say without a doubt she has enriched our lives like I could have never expected. She is sweet,  loving, calm, silly, and at times spunky. The kids all help and the end of 2015 will forever go down as the best we have had!





1 comment:

Amy Z. said...

This is so funny! I love checking your blog, just in case there is a new addition. And not only is there a post, but I provide the dialogue! Keep em coming Berk :-)